Nursery Home Learning – Half Day
Thursday, Jan 25, 2018
9:30am – 12:00pm
Training for nursery staff on running workshops and home activities across the year. Tips on engaging parents, facilitating workshops, supporting home learning and evaluating the work.
£450 (£399 if booked before 15th December)
PEN Members receive 10% off
Book a second place for only £50
This will include:
- identifying the aims and rationale behind the project
- getting to know the Playclub, F.U.N (Families Understanding Numeracy) and Explore! materials, and looking at how to run effective workshops to introduce and model them to parents
- building relationships and supporting parents with the activities
- developing an action plan for implementing and evaluating the project
If you have a group of schools interested in this training we may be able to run it in another area of the country: please contact us.
- 10 F.U.N. maths activities and activity sheets, evaluation forms, certificates, record cards etc.
- Detailed workshop plans
- 5 tip sheets for parents
- 8 Explore! activities and activity sheets with certificates, record cards etc
- 8 exciting Playclub bags with fun activities on developing phase 1 phonics. Includes links to videos of parents doing the activities
This project was trialled as part of a randomised control trial and was found to be effective by the Sutton Trust and the Department of Education at Oxford University, according to a report being published on the Sutton Trust website.
It helped parents to do fun activities at home that supported their children’s learning and developed the confidence of staff to work more closely with parents. Nine schools from Greater Manchester were involved and of the 84 targeted families, 72 completed the project and many schools reported impact on the children’s progress. The project is sustainable, with most of the trial schools continuing to use the resources once the project finished.
At Claremont Primary School:
- 70% of the targeted children involved in the project made accelerated progress (3+ levels) in reading compared with 45% of the nursery children overall;
- 70% of the children involved in the project made accelerated progress in speaking compared with 48% of the nursery children overall;
- 90% of the children involved in the project made accelerated progress in maths compared with 80% of the nursery children overall.
It’s been very successful and had a massive impact on the progress of the children involved. It’s just right for targeted children in receipt of Pupil Premium funding. It’s been one of the best interventions we’ve done. Headteacher, Irk Valley Primary School
It helped me to understand how to help my son. I love all the activities. I would recommend them to all parents. Parent, Newall Green Primary School
I have got more confidence in working with parents, particularly in approaching them and speaking and advising them with how they can help their children at home. Teacher, Rackhouse Primary School
I have been very impressed by the uptake and the very positive outcomes from the project. This is exactly what we need – practical fun ways to engage parents in learning. Headteacher, Newall Green Primary School